Museum of TechnologyMagdeburg
The history of the Museum of Technology
From a production hall to an exhibition depot...
Since the City of Magdeburg is strongly characterized by its industry, there have been various attempts in the past to establish a museum which was intended to deal with the industrial and cultural past of the city and its region.

A first modest start was made in 1958 when an exhibition hall for technical equipment was opened in the Museum of Cultural History in Magdeburg. Due to limited space, a comprehensive exhibition which would have done justice to the long tradition and variety of trades and industry in Magdeburg was just not possible. In 1993, the city of Magdeburg decided to establish a Museum of Technology in the former production hall number 18 of the heavy machinery combine "Schwermaschinenbau-Kombinat Ernst-Thälmann" (SKET).

The hall in which goods for railway and military purposes were produced by means of a permanent mold casting method, specially developed by Hermann Gruson, was built in 1871 and originally belonged to the Gruson works. When the Gruson works were taken over by the company
Friedrich Alfred Krupp from Essen in 1893, large parts of armaments orders of the Krupp-Gruson works were taken over by the production site in Essen. Nevertheless, the former casting factory for amor plates turned out to be an important production site for the German military industry. The armaments production in Magdeburg, which was especially important during the Second World War, was one reason why large parts of the city were destroyed in 1945.

Later, the factory was run as a Soviet joint-stock company and was renamed "Ernst-Thälmann-Werk" in 1951. In 1969, the factory was turned into a state combine and parent company of the SKET. By then, it was the center of heavy machinery production in the German Democratic Republic. After German reunification, the hall was used for steel production until 1993.

The museum was opened with an exhibition depot in May 1995.